I found a small portrait in a rather plain frame at the local fleamarket. The portrait was
printed on a satin fabric. On the back it said that the lady in the picture was a Beatrice d'Este.
Beatrice was the duchess of Milan born in 1475. She became famous for her patronage
of artists during the Italian Renaissance. I thought the frame was to plain and modest for a
duchess so I decided to make her a new one....
I mounted the small frame inside a bigger one 22x28 cm.
A lot of embellishments..
...and a lot of DecoArt acrylic paint
I doubt that she ever saw a zipper or a wrist watch in her lifetime...
Cogs and gears for a "steampunk" touch...
Crowned with a star...
A small boot to honor her Italian heritage..
A lot of texture on the background...
"Step by Step"
I used Decoart Traditions Carbon Black, Aquamarine, Blue Green Light,
English Red Oxide and Warm White.
Americana Gloss Enamel Rich Espresso and Texture Fierro Iron Black.
Two picture frames, lace and ribbons and lots and lots of small trinkets, decorations
and junk (I prefer to call it treasures LOL)
First of all I needed texture, I found a really cool ribbon in my stash....
and glued it to a peice of chipboard.
I glued the smaller frame to the chipboard....
I glued another ribbon to the larger frame and attached the chipboard inside
At this point it's a really good idea to give the frame a first coat of paint...
The outside rim of the frame was to smooth for my liking so I dabbed on some
Texture Fierro Iron Black.....
Then I started to glue down my decorations....buttons, upholstery nails, paper
flowers metal charms, glass beads...
....zippers, plaster decorations, parts from a wrist watch, plastic cogs from a printer,
hair pins, small light bulbs, pieces from old earrings......
Now I got all my "junk" glued down, I do love my hot glue gun for this type of
One more coat of Traditions Carbon Black and then we are ready for some
serious dry brushing!
First some dry brushing with Traditions English Red Oxide.........
Then I added some Blue Green Light and Aquamarine for some extra patina.
A tiny bit of Warm White for highlights.
Finally I dry brushed the whole thing with Americana Gloss Enamel
Rich Espresso. It's not as opaque as the Decoart Traditions line so it allows
the layers of green and red to show thru and gives a brilliant, antique finish.